Easy Chicken Pot Pie With Puff Pastry You Can Make Tonight!
If you are looking for an easy family recipe for dinner tonight, and one that’s lighter in calories than the my usual easy double crust chicken pot pie, you’ve come to the right place!
Just thinking about taking a Chicken Pot Pie right from the oven makes my mouth water.
The tender chunks of chicken, nestled among onion, potato, peas or carrots and smothered by a deliciously flaky puff pastry – that’s how I spell c-o-m-f-o-r-t.
There are a number of chicken pot pie recipes around. This chicken pie with puff pastry is one I adapted a few years ago from an easy double crust chicken pot pie recipe in a food magazine sponsored by Walmart. I don’t think it’s in print now.
But the most famous is the Pioneer Woman Chicken Pot Pie. It’s to die for!
The first time I made the recipe, I followed the instructions exactly and used a piecrust for the top and bottom. It was so awesome!
But you know me, right?! I love to change things up, and find an easier, and quicker way to make dinner!
I like this homemade easy chicken pot pie with puff pastry recipe because:
- it’s full of flavor
- comes together very quickly
- it’s a skinny chicken pot pie! Way lighter in calories than using traditional pie crust
- the ingredients are either in your pantry or waiting to be picked up on the way home from work!
My adaption shows you how to make your chicken pot pie with puff pastry in a cast iron skillet, and use puff pastry as a top crust! I love to bake using my cast iron skillets – if you don’t have one, check out the link below – and buy one.
These pans will never wear out, you will have it for life! Just be sure to clean them with only water and a scrub brush and then treat them with a small amount of cooking oil.
This post contains affiliate links* what does that mean?
Traditional chicken pot pies have a double crust, and those are certainly delicious. But it does take extra time if you are making your pie crust from scratch. I have a wonderful How To Make Perfect Flaky Pie Crust guide to help you with that!
But we want to save some time today right?
I think chicken pot pie is the number one choice of savory pies – You can make it in a number of ways and sizes. Mini chicken pot pies are perfect for a quick meal.
Bake up a batch and pop them in the freezer. Then thaw and serve with a salad!
I remember buying chicken pies in bulk from a famous frozen food store, they were convenient, but really didn’t have much flavor.
Once you try this chicken pot pie recipe with puff pastry that is so quick to make and delicious – there will be no turning back.This skinny chicken pot pie recipe with puff pastry is a great choice for family dinner because: • It’s so easy – double or triple the recipe and freeze! • The ingredients are readily available – local foods especially! • The flavours and textures are delicious and rich – folks will want seconds!Click To Tweet
Host a Chicken Pot Pie Baking Party!
Something that is fun to do and ultimately saves time and money is to gather a few friends and schedule a Saturday to have a Pie Baking Party.
• You offer to organize the ingredients and do the shopping.
• Everyone pays their share of the cost of the ingredients
• Each guest brings their own pie tins and pans.
• Chicken pies can be baked at your house – OR everyone can take their prepared pot pies home and bake them there!
I just love this idea! Please let me know if you go ahead and have your own Chicken Pot Pie Baking Party!
A delicious meat pie you can make tonight, using a pre-cooked chicken, frozen puff pastry and ingredients that are readily at hand.
- 6 tbsp. butter
- ¼ c all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ c milk
- ½ c onion cooking
- 10 oz chicken broth 284 ml, condensed
- ½ c potato raw, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ c cooked chicken store bought –roasted, or pre-cooked package
- ¾ c peas and carrots frozen
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry frozen, then thawed, the kind that doesn't need rolling
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- Mix 2 tbsp of the butter with the flour and put aside
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the milk and set this aside
Using a large cast iron pan, cook the onion and celery in the 4 tbsp. of butter and season with salt and pepper to your taste
- Add the potato and the broth and bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the butter/flour mixture and stir this in.
- When the mixture has started to boil again, remove it from the heat source and stir in the milk & cornstarch.
- Put the pan back on the stove and bring it to a boil once again, then remove it from the heat and stir in the peas & carrots and the chicken.
- Cover with a lid to cool while you get your puff pastry ready!
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C with the top rack in the lowest position. This is also known as the bottom third of your oven.
Following the package instructions unroll one sheets of puff pastry.
Make sure the cooled chicken mixture is mounding slightly in the middle of the skillet.
Place the sheet of puff pastry on the top, and cut a few of vents into the top crust with a knife. This will allow the steam to escape and also will make your crust very flaky!
Crimp the edges of your puff pastry around the edge of the cast iron pan and brush the entire top crust and edges with milk
- Bake for 50 minutes, the let cool for about 20 minutes before serving
Try this chicken pot pie with puff pastry recipe tonight! It’s nice to know that the Pioneer Woman agrees with me when it comes to creating easy to bake chicken pot pie recipes.
If you love this easy chicken pot pie with puff pastry be sure to check out my other savory pie recipes!
Easy Family Recipes
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.