Easy Pecan Pie
Pecan pie is a great recipe for beginner pie bakers. I was once a beginner pastry chef too! But as I have gained more experience, my creativity has resulted in many different recipes – straying from the traditional tried and true – to venturing out on my own. As any good pie baker will tell you, we all love to take a basic recipe and add our own awesomeness to it!
Pecan pie has been around forever and is often on the dessert menu in restaurants and available at the supermarket. It has always, to me, left a little bit to be desired. What I mean by that is that some recipes are very bland. You would think that it would turn out to be just one big butter tart with nuts in it wouldn’t you? Or as delicious as a handful of pralines? I just haven’t found that to be the case. I like to use all sugar or honey in my pecan pie – not the over-processed corn syrup that is often recommended.
So over the years, I’ve been experimenting with different ingredients, trying to create a pie that could truly be called awesome. I think you’ll agree that this recipe is exactly that. And the awesomeness? Real semi-sweet chocolate chips. Served warm – this pie is like one big chocolate pecan cookie!
This recipe uses my Insanely Easy Piecrust Recipe.
Enjoy this pecan pie post?
We also love Sallys Baking Addiction for delicious pies and pie crust recipes!
- 1 baked shortcrust pastry deep dish pie shell
- 1 cup of packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup of liquid honey
- 1 tbsp. Molasses
- 5 tbsps. unsalted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs beaten
- Mix the sugar, honey, molasses, butter and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium to low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and then add the nuts and the chocolate chips.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl with a whisk and then add them to the filling.
- Let the filling cool slightly, before putting it into the warm pie shell.
- You might need to put the pie shell back into the oven to warm it up before adding the pecan filling.
- Bake in the lower third of an oven at 350F for 35 to 45 minutes.
This pie is amazing served warm with a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream.